Senior Lecturer (Social Justice Place & Lifelong Education)
- Senior Lecturer (Social Justice Place & Lifelong Education)
- Chair of the College of Social Sciences Ethics Committee
- Member of the University Ethics Committee
- Address: College of Social Sciences, School of Education, Social Justice Place Lifelong Ed, R223 Level 2, St Andrews Building, Glasgow, G3 6NH
- Telephone: +44 (0) 141 330 4699
- Email: Muir.Houston@glasgow.ac.uk
- Website: https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/education/staff/muirhouston/
Dr Muir Houston is a Lecturer in the School of Education and a member of the Social Justice, Place and Lifelong Education (SJPLE) Research Group at the University of Glasgow. He is also the Ethics Officer for the College of Social Sciences, sitting on the University Ethics Committee, and an Associate of both PASCAL and CRADALL networks.
He has previously held positions in the Institute of Education at the University of Stirling and the Centre for Lifelong Learning at the University of the West of Scotland and has over 15 years experience in academic research. A sociologist by training, he has research interests in adult and lifelong learning, including the development and implementation of learning cities and regions; aspects of the contemporary student experience including access, retention, progression and performance, and issues of widening participation and inequality of opportunity. In addition, he has research interests in the career and educational motivations and aspirations of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
He is proficient in qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research often with an emphasis on advanced quantitative techniques including considerable experience of case study comparative research.